Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wish I Was There




Well, earlier this week Chris came back to the office with a grin as big as the Cheshire cat telling us we needed to get bikes built in a big hurry and he would be leaving town in a couple days. "I'm goin riding the Geore Bush!" Well I offered to be Chris's body guard for the event however I guess he felt I was needed more here, at my desk, helping the people.... I digress, We are all stoked that Chris and Steve got to go out and ride with W. (except Salty, he's a hippie) Regardless, being able to ride with a former President would be a pretty amazing experience and I would love to do a sweet wheelie pop high five as I rode past Dubya, maybe get a picture of me jumping over him or something I don't know. Anyways, they're out in the Bungport now shreddin the New England trails and truly livin the high life, crab cakes and Presidential mansions, life's tough!
Ride On

Anyhow, here is Chris's personal account. Tales from the trails with Chris and W.

Well the ride went fantastic and we had a great time. The morning started with all of us waiting for The President to arrive. Soon a convoy on Suburbans rolled into the parking lot. The President stepped out and greeted all of us in person. I was really nervous but had been planning my greeting since yesterday. He hung out and we chatted a bit. There were just 7 of us total. The other riders were the regulars on "Peleton One" , The Presidents regular riding group since 2004. After some small talk we were off on our ride with The President leading the way. We all followed along with 4 Secret Service men on bikes and a detail of Suburbans. We had a short road ride to the trail head and had traffic stopped along the way as we traveled up the road, very weird to see.
We hit the single track and we were going at a really fast pace. The SS guys were really struggling and I was a little worried to, and glad I have been doing the Tues night rides!!! The pace settled in and we formed a train as we snaked through the woods of Kennebunkport. The trail was tight and twisty but with very little climbing. There were plenty of roots and rocks to dodge and negotiate. The President kept a very good pace and Steve and I were having a blast following.
At the end of the trail The President declared it was his personal best time on the trail buy 3 min and we shared a fist bump! He was really happy and seemed to really like the Jet 9. He is going to ride it again tomorrow. Brendan told us The President does not pull any punches and if he did not like it he would have requested his regular bike for the next ride.
We are riding again tomorrow morning but with a much larger group 18-22 people so I doubt we will get the same attention. Steve will be staying later Fri to visit The Presidents home, I will be returning to LA to catch my flight to Europe.
All in all The President is a real guys guy and a lot of fun to be around. He was very down to earth and easy to talk to, although I think I was pretty star struck the whole time and felt like it was a little like a dream.
Thank you for making this happen, with out all of our efforts this day would have never come. I hope you are all proud that Niner Bikes has been able to enjoy this moment of recognition.

Chris Sugai

No comments:

Post a Comment